Sunday, June 07, 2009

Stroustrup's new book

I swore I would never do C++ programming again (3 yrs ago). Never say never. I realize that I miss some of the abstractive capabilities compared to C. I don't miss OO, I miss Generic Programming.

I was browsing Reiters a couple of weeks ago and was shocked to find this book. C++ as a first language? I was intrigued. I think that Stroustrup is a good concise writer and I wondered what an "intro to programming" book would look like (coming from his hands).

I purchased the book last week.

The book is interesting. I don't know how well it would do with a newbie, but I tend to like his no-bullshit approach. It is quite refreshing. He is very pragmatic and I liked how STL (generic programming) takes a front seat.

I am also a fan of Alexander Stepanov. He has a book coming out this month. I've already pre-ordered it.

This nicely meshes wth my current interest in Cortex M3 microcontrollers. I don't want to resort to C programming when I start messing with my Primer.

No comments:

Post a Comment