Friday, October 16, 2009

uforth 0.921 -- more pre-release goodness

Visit uforth for the latest "on your own for now" pre-release. I've included a link to a prebuilt binary for the MSP430 ez430-rf2500 board.

It's more robust and comprehensive. Plus it supports direct word compiles to the MSP430 flash.
It weighs just over 8KB flash + 900 bytes RAM. It support an 8KB (4096 cell) dictionary, so there is plenty of room to play.

The PC/Unix version still works well too. I use it for new dictionary development and create a TI file of the compiled dictionary for the MSP430.

Nothing automated yet and very little documentation. But, hey you can define words, loop and do some "meta" stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:00 AM

    Nice work so far, especially compiling to flash. I'm working with an Atmel Xmega which is very similar to the msp430 and I'm going to give a go at porting your code over.

    Like you, I'm torn between maxing out my memory resources and having an on chip devel environment. Long term, I'd like to build a Tcl like interp in Forth, so that I can develop code faster.

    -
    Steve (stever on tcler's chat)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I feel your pain.

    uForth currently consumes < 4KB code space (flash) on an MSP430 and about 1KB RAM.

    I'd be interested in seeing your Xmega code...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean-Claude Wippler8:07 AM

    Neat stuff - I've been playing with uForth, running on an STM32-based ARM board under ChibiOS - looking good so far. Just one note that the "uForth" link appears to be dead.

    Cheers,
    -jcw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Link updated. Website redirect pending.

    Wow. It's been a while since I've tried uForth on the STM32 and I am pleasantly surprised to hear it is working.

    Hello jcw, we cross paths again ;)

    ReplyDelete