I've been doing a lot of low level and high level Forth recently and wanted a "lighweight" hackable device for some mall programming (my 11 yr old son plays Warhammer 4K at a local mall and can be engaged for up to 3 hrs -- ugh, 3 hrs of waiting in a mall). The problem with most of my devices is that they have lots of wires, bare boards and LEDs. I don't need the attention (blinking LED.. somebody call the police!).
So, I got me a WikiReader and I've already opened it up to hack in a connector for a serial port (pictures later).
The toolchain and source code is free (developed under Linux w/ open source tools), so I installed ubuntu (once again: goodbye windows) and was quickly cross compiling new Forth engines!
More later, but some quick mini-stats:
The device works off of 3 AAA batteries and draws 11-13mA (avg) while "idle" (waiting for a touch screen or serial event) and 80-90mA (avg) while searching, handling I/O and doing wikipedia stuff.