Saturday, February 28, 2015

I will be Cyborg.

I haven't had a lot of time to post to this blog and I am wondering if this is the end of the line for it.
Well, we will see.  But for now...

I am approaching 50 (in 1.5 years) and my eyes are shot (I'm very near sighted).  The screen is blurry (I have transitional bi-focals, so my "clear" view is pretty marginal) and isn't going to get any better.

So, if my eyes sight starts to quickly wane (my eye doctor isn't really concerned... yet), what do I do?
While I can use magnifying glasses for my circuit work (which starting to become a thing of the past for me anyway), what about my programming and computer science stuff  (i.e. my screen work)?

Duh.
I'm a programmer and technologist.  I can hack something together to supplement my poor vision.  Even if I were to go blind (that isn't currently in the cards, but who knows), there are ways to continue to do "Computer Science".
There is technology already out there, and I can always invent what I need to aid me if my eyesight worsens.

Sometimes I forget that, with software and some gadgetry, we invent whatever we need. We are indeed sorcerers and alchemists :)

3 comments:

  1. Tri-focals sure do the trick for me. The middle range is perfect for the computer. Charley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been tempted to go with those. I may take the dive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:27 AM

    if you can afford them: progressive lenses; varlilux is a good brand.

    I started at 46 to need 1.0 for computer work, so I choose fixed lenses then; last year ( I'm 53 now) I decided that I had enough of having a stack of fixed lens glasses of different dioptres ( ranging from 1.5 for far sight to 2.5 for computer work and 3.5 for close reading ) and opted for a special deal on two sets of progressive lenses; one for sun glasses and the other clear; I had no problems at all getting used to the lenses. Hopefully this set will last a few years as one ages the eyesight rate deterioration decreases, stabilising around 65. Anyhow, thought I'd share my eyesight experience ;-)

    ReplyDelete