Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bluegiga BLE112 + Beaglebone + Erlang = ?

So, I got a Beaglebone yesterday.  I am considering it as the potential base host for my home monitoring system.  After verifying that it would boot, I downloaded a Buildroot based Erlang image from  http://nerves-project.org/ .   So far, so good.

I plugged in the Bluegiga BLE112 bluetooth USB dongle and it was correctly recognized as a serial port (/dev/ttyACM0).  So far, so good.

So, would it take my initial base software (just a BLE112 dongle test)?  I am using Feuerlab's serial port library (as recommend to me by Ulf Wiger in a comment to my previous BLE112 blog entry).

So, I downloaded and built the Buildroot environment for nerves (mainly to get the ARM cross compiler installed with the uclibc library).  So far, so good.

The serial port library compiled without a hitch (after setting TARGET_SYS to my ARM compiler suite). But, it couldn't be that simple, could it?

Copied my sources (including the compiled serial library) to the microSD, booted Beaglebone and gave it a try. It worked.

Today was a good day.

Now, here is the bigger task at hand: Determine if a 256MB RAM ARM is sufficient to do some serious Erlang work (maybe with some OTP too?).  I've seen the neat tricks (running Erlang on Raspberry Pi), but how about something more than blinking lights?

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment