Sunday, July 19, 2015

Elder Home Care in an RF noisy house

The BT tags I mentioned in my previous post is acting erratically.  During certain times the tracker tokens lose contact with the server (for minutes) even if just a couple of feet away.  BT LE is supposed to be broadcasting on a channel not used by IEEE 802.11 Wi-Fi, so I am not sure what is drowning the broadcast. I don't have a 2.4Ghz wireless (house) phone so that isn't the culprit.

I don't have a spectrum analyzer, so I am limited in my investigative resources...

I'd hate to have to drop down to 433Mhz sensors.

The good news is that this can possibly be solved in software.  The problem is the "false positives".  Since the monitor notifies me upon the sensor going out of range, when these RF anomalies occur I am falsely alerted.  One approach is to have a "control" tag permanently installed in the room with the detector. If both the control and tracking tag go "out of range" then it must be an RF anomaly and I shouldn't be notified.

No comments:

Post a Comment